Aloha!

I’m in Maui, Hawai’i.  Did you know that the Hawaiian alphabet is made up of only 13 letters?  There are five vowels and 8 consonants, including the glottal stop called ‘okina.  The ‘okina is used to make sure you pronounce the words correctly. Aloha means hello and goodbye.  Mahalo means thank you.  Do you know any other words in Hawaiian?

photo

6 thoughts on “Aloha!

• 10/30/2014 at 5:11 pm
    Permalink

Keiki means little kid in Hawaiian. I’m very proud of my keiki for keeping such a cool blog. What is the state fish of Hawaii? What is your favorite thing that you’ve done in Maui? What did you think about snorkeling?

Reply
    • 11/03/2014 at 12:19 am
      Permalink

Dear Jay,
      The state fish is the
      humuhumunukunukuapua’a
      🙂 I liked everything that I did in Hawaii. Snorkeling was AWESOME!!!! Standing on the top of a volcano was also very cool!

Reply
  • 10/30/2014 at 5:12 pm
    Permalink

I know another word in Hawaiian. Kie Kie means kids in Hawaiian.
    That’s cool that there are only 13 letters
    There must not be very many words

Reply
    • 11/02/2014 at 9:28 pm
      Permalink

Dear Owen,
      The Hawaiian language is a Polynesian language. Many native Hawaiians stopped speaking the language, but in the recent years people are using it more.

Reply
  • 11/02/2014 at 2:52 pm
    Permalink

Dear Ethan,
    That is a beautiful picture. Your fact makes sense to me now about the Hawaiian alphabet only having 13 letters. I have always thought there seemed to be so many vowel sounds when I listen to the Hawaiian language. I always have trouble pronouncing the words because I am missing the consonants.
    From, Mrs. Amri

Reply
    • 11/02/2014 at 9:32 pm
      Permalink

Dear Mrs. Amri,
      Did you know a consonant is always followed by a vowel in the Hawaiian language, which means that all words in Hawaiian end in a vowel? 🙂

Reply