Notre Dame Cathedral

The Notre Dame Cathedral was built in the 13th century. It was made to replace the old cathedral, St. Stephens, which was built in the 5th century. The Notre Dame was in construction from 1163 until the 14th century.

According to my research book (from the cathedral), “the visitor cannot fail to admire the masterpieces of Jean de Chellesand and Pierre de Montreuil, the designers of two great circular stained-glass windows that light up the transept.” Guess what those stained-glass windows are called? The Rose Windows! The north and south one both measure 13 meters (42.6509 feet) in diameter and are placed on clearways that are 7 meters (22.9659 feet)tall. The south rose window, a gift from King St. Louis, comprises 84 compartments, all dedicated to the New Testament. Built around 1250, the north rose window has the most original stained glass. 80 medallions set out in three circles represent people from the Old Testament who are surrounding the Virgin and the Infant Jesus. At the middle of the cathedral’s façade is the west rose window. The west rose window is the oldest out of all three windows. It is made out of three circles around a central medallion and is only 10 meters in diameter (32.8084). It has undergone many restorations.

FullSizeRender

The Notre Dame Cathedral is 41 meters wide (134.514 feet) and 63 meters high (206.693 feet). The North Tower was finished in 1240 and the South in 1250. The South Tower contains the 13-ton bell, named Emmanuel. Emmanuel, according to musicologists, bell ringers, and musicians, is one of the most remarkable sound vessels in Europe. It makes the sky vibrate during religious feasts and also during national events. There are also many organs at the Notre Dame. The Great Organ, built in 1330, is a 6-foot montre with a single keyboard with 4 to 6 pipes per note. Then, in 1401, a new organ was built in the stone organ loft above the large west portal.

What is your favorite part about the Notre dame?

2 thoughts on “Notre Dame Cathedral

• 05/23/2016 at 5:05 pm
    Permalink

Dear Ethan,
    After reading your post, my favorite part of the Notre Dame cathedral definitely has to be the beautiful rose windows. I didn’t realize that King St. Louis gave the south rose window. What an awe-inspiring gift! I would love to hear the 13-ton bell ring! I also didn’t know that it was named Emmanuel. I would imagine the sky would vibrate and come alive with the sound of the bell ringing. It gives me “goose bumps” just to imagine what it would sound like.

Thanks for your remarkable post,
    Mrs. Fordyce

Reply
  • 01/19/2017 at 2:20 am
    Permalink

Hi Ethan,
    I think the architecture of the cathedral is beautiful.
    From, Laura

Reply